Re: nfs -- can't mount.

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 05:41:01PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> anarres:/# mount -t nfs 128.100.34.8:/home/matt /racesci/matt
> mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

It's been a while since I had problems like that, but I vaguely remember
that errors like that sometimes come up when the RPC portmapper on the
server isn't running or isn't accepting connections. Can you use
"rpcinfo -p <server>" from your client machine? You should see mountd
and nfs (and a few other things) in the service listing.

It's possible that the server has a "default" firewall/hosts.deny setup
that's blocking your client connection. Recent versions of Red Hat offer
to set up basic firewalling during installation (commendable, since one
of RH's main target audiences is new/inexperienced users). I think
current versions of the portmapper also use hosts.allow and hosts.deny,
with the special service name of "portmap". If the server has something
like "all: all" in hosts.deny (a common and recommended practice) you'll
need to add an entry to hosts.allow for your machine.

--
Michael Heironimus