nfs -- can't mount.

hi,

I Am trying to understand how nfs file systems get mounted.  I run
woody on a 386, a friend has just moved a box over to my office, and I
want to be able to mount a directory from this box (which runs redhat
7.3, I think) on my own.  I made sure the nfs daemon was running on
his box, edited the /etc/exports file to include my ip address and the
appropriate directories, and then tried to mount the file system from
my box.  I get the following error:

anarres:/# mount -t nfs 128.100.34.8:/home/matt /racesci/matt
mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

is the problem with my box or the other one?  I went through a bit of
trouble, turning the various daemons on and so forth; I think it's
working, but I don't have access to a third box, so I don't know.

any help is appreciated.  thanks loads,