update-inetd and vsftpd

I wanted to use a simple ftp server so I installed vsftp.  I checked my
/etc/inetd.conf file and see the following line:

#<disabled>#ftp         stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/sbin/vsftpd

I have never done this before, but I assumed that I needed to tell inetd
to start vsftp.  So as root I typed:

update-inetd --verbose --enable vsftp
and I got the response:
Processing /etc/inetd.conf

THe problem was that nothing changed in the inetd.conf file.  There was
still the '#<disabled># line.  So I tried:

update-inetd --verbose --enable ftp

which also didn't change anything.  Am I confused in thinking I need to
have this line changed from 'disabled' to 'enabled' in order for inetd
to startup vsftpd?  If I'm completely confused and need to do something
else, please let me know.  I read the vsftpd.conf man page, but nowhere
does it really say how to get things up and running.

Thanks,

Ric