Re: st0: Block limits 1 - 16777215 bytes ... Help!

On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 01:12, nate wrote:
> testuser said:
> > Evening all,
> > I've been getting this error whenever I run a backup using bru, tar or
> > dump. This happens regardless of destination media. I've tested backing
> > up to hard disk, remote DAT DDS-3 tape drive and the local internal
> > Seagate STD224000N DAT DDS-3 tape drive and all give the same error.
>
> > Has anyone resolved this issue before? I've checked Google and results
> > are basically useless. Any help is greatly appreciated right about now!
> > Thanks.
>

> doing a quick search of google myself leads me to ask this question:
>
> are you attemping to backup /proc onto your tape?

This bit me when I tried to tar up my disk.  Trying to back up
/proc/kore just doesn't work!!!!

Note how I exclude certain directories from my backups:

#!/bin/sh
x=`date +%y%m%d.%H%M`
y=`uname -n`
dest=/var/backups/data
cd /
tar cvpsfj ${dest}/bkup_${y}_${x}-root.tar.bz2 \
    --recursion --exclude=cdrom \
                --exclude=cdrom0 \
                --exclude=cdrom1 \
                --exclude=dev \
                --exclude=dvd \
                --exclude=home/me/.mozilla/default/igov8kj8.slt/Cache \
                --exclude=home/me/.pyne \
                --exclude=home/me/OpenOffice.org1.0 \
                --exclude=home/me/download \
                --exclude=home/me/News   \
                --exclude=mnt \
                --exclude=proc \
                --exclude=root/images \
                --exclude=tmp \
                --exclude=var/backups/data \
                --exclude=var/cache/apt/archives \
                --exclude=var/cache/aptcached/archives \
                --exclude=var/download \
                --exclude=var/mdk.tars \
                --exclude=usr/local/data \
                --exclude=.journal \
    /

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "What other evidence do you have that they are terrorists, |
|  other than that they trained in these camps?"             |
|   17-Sep-2002 Katie Couric to an FBI agent regarding the 5 |
|   men arrested near Buffalo NY                             |