Re: The Real Problem With Debian

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 22:19, Peter Christensen wrote:
> As a newbie I hesitate to get involved here, because I know nothing about the
> other versions of Linux.  But after reading through countless problems and
> their solutions on this mailing list, maybe it's refreshing to hear about
> someone's positive experience.
>
> I chose Debian because I was attracted to its non-commercial nature.  A few
> years ago I tried Slink, but gave up after many problems.  So I did have a
> tiny bit of experience when, a couple of months ago, I ordered Woody on CD.
> It installed so easily, seemed much more streamlined than my recollection of
> Slink.  Somewhere I read that KDE was an easy transition for Windows users,
> so I chose it in the install.  I would highly recommend it to anyone moving
> from Windows because it gives a complete working environment (that has a
> familiar look and feel) from the start.  AND the printer was so easy to
> install in KDE using CUPS.
[snip]

IMHO, any newbies should really try Libranet or (dare I say it),
maybe, possibly even, <deep breath> Lindows 2.0.

I *know* that Libranet is newbie-oriented Debian, and pointing
your sources.list at Debian mirrors works.  I've heard that, deep
down, Lindows is Debian, and that pointing your sources.list at
Debian mirrors should work.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with http://www.libranet.com but am
a satisfied user.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "What other evidence do you have that they are terrorists, |
|  other than that they trained in these camps?"             |
|   17-Sep-2002 Katie Couric to an FBI agent regarding the 5 |
|   men arrested near Buffalo NY                             |