RE: The Real Problem With Debian

Rick,

Is Debian your *first* Linux distribution (just curious)?  I know I
would have probably the same feelings (that Debian "sucked") if that was
the case for me.  I find Debian, however, to be *superb* considering I
have tried numerous distributions over time.

Distros with too much bloat:

SUSE
Slackware (Multiple Versions)
Red Hat (Multiple Versions)

Nice, but not what I was looking for:

Linux From Scratch (just a little-too-custom)
FREESCO (floppy router - my favorite "Linux" so far - nice package
system)

I came up with a list of wants:

idea linux distribution

1. small, fast install
2. packages that build on base system and are easily installed 3.
current kernel

So debian fit perfectly.  I did a network install, off 3 floppy disks,
downloaded the base system in a few hours over 28.8bps.

I then did (over a few weeks):

 tasksel X Window System

 apt-get install ftp
 apt-get install ssh
 apt-get install ncftp
 apt-get install lynx
 apt-get install unzip
 apt-get install gaim
 apt-get install mozilla-browser
 apt-get install fluxbox
 apt-get install gpm
 apt-get install ftpd
 apt-get install wget
 apt-get install nmap

and I have just about everything I want at this point in time.  I'm also
going to replace my fresco router with Debian when I get the time to set
it up since apt-get can get me all the packages I need (dhcpd, etc)

So, I'm just disagreeing, but I do value your opinion - it IS hard to
find a Linux distribution that fits everyones personality/needs.

Jim Hribar

*Satisfied* Debian User.