RE: Email (was Setting up Exim was Setting up Sendmail)

Stephen,
Thank you for this reply. Answers to your questions below your questions:

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Gran [mailto:steve@lobefin.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 6:16 PM
To: Debian-User@Lists. Debian. Org
Subject: Re: Email (was Setting up Exim was Setting up Sendmail)

This one time, at band camp, Michael Olds said:
> Hello,
>
> Exim on Woody
>
> Trying again here, I posted on Friday afternoon and by Saturday I knew
there
> wasn't a hope of my request for help being seen.
>
> At this point I have again run out of possible solutions:
>
> I have Exim set up. I believe it is set up properly as I used the defaults
> mostly. I can send mail from my Linux box, but I cannot receive mail,
either
> internally or from the outside. The log indicates that mail is being
> received and is being delivered no errors. I am using the Kmail e-mail
> client, which I have uninstalled and re-installed a couple of times just
> check. If there is a better client I am listening. I am sure this is
> something silly, like permissions, but I do not know where to look next
for
> the solution. As far as I can tell the relevant directories and files are
> user me and group mail, not sure if it is correct or safe, but also with
> read, write, and execute for both.
>
> Anyone have an idea as to what I should dig into next to get this up?

OK, if you have a default Debian install, exim installs mail into
/var/mail/$USER, and /var/spool/mail is a symlink to /var/mail.

ls -l /var/mail/$USER will tell you if there's any mail there (if it
has a nonzero size, you do.)  If there's mail there, then the problem
is the setup of your mail clients in reading it.  All of the mail
clients (AFAIK, correct me if I'm wrong) can be made to read from the
mail spool.

ls -1 /var/mail/$USER gives me
/var/mail/userme and that is all.
the file itself if 700kb which isn't zero.

<=======================================================>

If you can send mail, exim is probably working - it's job is SMTP only.
exim (or postfix/sendmail, etc) do not _retrieve_ mail.  You will
only get mail sent to you by local jobs (cron, etc) or other users on
your box, unless this box is also the MX in the DNS for your domain.  I
don't have any details of your setup, but if this is a standard
workstation install, without a domain name attached to it, this doesn't
seem likely.  Again, correct me if I'm wrong, and fill in other details
as you think necessary.

I can send mail out. Are you saying exim does not process the mail that is
received? ( don't mean retrieve it as with an email client, but put it in
/var/mail/$USER ?

In any case yes this box is the MX in the DNS for this domain, and one
other...fully qualified, registered and, again, apparently working because I
just sent me an email from the Windows box and the /var/log/exim/mainlog
recorded it "completed"

<=======================================================>
The thread got drowned in the weekend traffic. I was having this same
problem with Sendmail. When I uninstalled sendmail, it boinked Apache (don't
ask me how), re-installing Apache installed Exim, so I thought I would give
it a try...about brings you up to date.

I missed where this thread started, but you make reference to sendmail.
I don't know sendmail that well (does anybody? (^8 ), but I do get the
gist at least of exim, and I'll help with what I can.

Steve
--
To see a need and wait to be asked, is to already refuse.

These two are hard to find in the world: one who offers and one who is
grateful. -SGS