RE: The Real Problem With Debian

O.K., I know that this could go on ad finitum but I had to chime in.

Debian was actually the first Linux distro I ever installed ( on a B&W
Macintosh no less and I'm a PC guy!! :-) ).  Aside from some frustrations
with yaboot the installation was smooth.  Had some XServer problems and
recieved help from the PowerPC list at Debian and go that taken care of.
Now I have KDE, Samba, Apache, Tomcat, and a host of other things up and
running on that machine.  I have since put RedHat 7.2 on a machine at my
house and am now trying to configure a Debian x86 machine at work to run
HylaFax to try to introduce Linux into the workplace.  I personally think
that apt is light years ahead of RedHat's package manager.  I fact, because
of this list, I recompiled my own kernel on the Debian box (something I
swore I wouldn't do yet).  In other words, I plan on sticking with Debian,
though I would like to dive into Slackware just for the learning aspect.
However, I must digress, the whole reason that I started with Linux was to
learn and I agree with others on this list that in order for me to better
learn, I want to see the bowels exposed a little so I know what is going on.
One of the frustrating things about the Windoze environment is that too many
things are hidden or unavailable for the user to tweak.  This is fine for
Joe Blow user but some folks want/need to get into the depths to tweak some
things for performance or stability sake.

Anyway, enough rambling, just thought I'd throw in my $.02.

Barry deFreese
NTS Technology Services Manager
Nike Team Sports
(949)-616-4005
Barry.deFreese@nike.com

"Technology doesn't make you less stupid; it just makes you stupid faster."
Jerry Gregoire - Former CIO at Dell