Defeting Crappy Bios

I have a compaq computer I got for $30.00 and though a good price, has a really awful bios feature that not only only lets me boot to a floppy it won't boot to anything but a windows boot disk. I hostly can't explain it, but that is the state of things, so don't ask :) So my question is if there is a way to boot to a windows floppy, I have a win98 disk available so it's idea for me, and still install Linux. I'm also concered about being able to boot linux once it's install (if it's installed :) )
Thanks for any tips.
By the way it's a Compaq Presario 4714 with a Pentium 1 and 24MB mem so on an so forth.