More Trials and tribulations

Okay after finally getting x-windows to start. I have three new problems;
1 I'm using xdm to start my x-windows session and it starts kde. I'd much rather use gnome, how do I change to gdm. 2 I have a sound blaster live value card installed but the sound server isn't worker, can someone point in the right direction to configure the sound modules. 3 I have my ppp connection configured but I can't connect to the internet while I'm logged in as my everyday user, or at will as root. When I was using Mandrake linux kde had Kppp but I didn't see it in any of the menus. Could someone give me an idea of how to solve this?