Re: More Trials and tribulations

    "lameth" == lameth  <lameth@erols.com> writes:

    lameth> Okay after finally getting x-windows to start. I have
    lameth> three new problems; 1 I'm using xdm to start my x-windows
    lameth> session and it starts kde. I'd much rather use gnome, how
    lameth> do I change to gdm.

apt-get install gdm

should do it. I presume you installed the rest of Gnome?

    lameth> 2 [....can't help with SB modules...]

    lameth> 3 I have my ppp connection configured but I can't connect
    lameth> to the internet while I'm logged in as my everyday user,
    lameth> or at will as root. When I was using Mandrake linux kde
    lameth> had Kppp but I didn't see it in any of the menus. Could
    lameth> someone give me an idea of how to solve this?

I think you probably need to add yourself to the dialout group. I'm
not sure exactly what your problem is above - what fails, when and
what are the error messages? As yourself? As root?

Cheers!
Shyamal