Re: network folder

This one time, at band camp, Rhodri said:
> the network drive is Unix and I want to have access to my network drive
> (mapping my network drive), namely,
>
> \\severname\myhomedirectory

Might mean nfs.

> from my computer, not from the office's computer
> the system is controlled my  tsg (technical support group)
>
> I connect to that folder from my office's computer which runs redhat 7.3.
> The problem is that I do not have admistrative rights in that computer
> (i.e., I do not have root access), so I do not know how they did it (and I
> can tell you they are not going to tell me ).

$PAGER /etc/fstab

> My own computer, this is, not the office's one, it is a novatech P4 laptop
> which runs mainly debian (woody) although I left a litte partition for
> windows xp (3 Gb). Using windows, I can connect to my office's network drive
> using tools>map network drive> where I type the name of my server and my
> user name.

This means probably samba.

> Given that I am quite new at debian (one month using it) I am not pretty
> sure if I should use nfs through dhcp or I should use samba instead.

They may be running both samba and nfs, or they may they just be running
samba.  Check out the fstab on the Redhat box to see what filesystem it
is mounted as (smbfs, nfs, etc).  If you can mount it under Windows on
your laptop, this means permissons are relatively lay (no MAC address
for DHCP, and then only some IP's allowed, etc).  Once you figure out
what filesystem is being used, it's pretty straightforward.  portmapper
and nfs-common are the packages you need for nfs, smbclient and
samba-common for samba.  You'll have to edit your fstab accordingly, and
you should be in business.

HTH,
Steve

--
Vermouth always makes me brilliant unless it makes me idiotic.
		-- E.F. Benson