iptables problem (woody)

If I do "iptables -L" I get an error:

-----
modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
iptables v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who?
(do
you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
-----

I'm new at Linux, have been playing with it for a few weeks now.
I am unable to solve this myself (modprobe, modins all have never heard of
ip_tables).
I've installed my system using the iso's downloaded from debian.org. I've
searched the net on this problem,
and I believe it has something to do with a few modules not being enabled in
the kernel. Do I have to compile
my own kernel to use a standard thing like iptables?!? I can really use some
advice here, thanks.

Joost