Re: Some problems printing

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 08:37:19PM +0200, Ronald Castillo wrote:
> I'm trying to print the test page from a Debian Sarge PC.  After messing
> around a while I made KDE see the printers, but non-KDE apps (Opera) don't.

I don't use Opera, but I'd guess that Opera sends its output to lp or
lpr. Piping to either of these two commands is a pretty standard way of
printing. I think you need to install the cupsys-client and cupsys-bsd
packages to get printing capabilities with lp and lpr.

When I first set up CUPS, I couldn't print from some applications since
they were calling lpr. After installing cupsys-bsd I was able to print
from these applications.

> Now, I've fixed the username/password issue, but now when I try to print it
> shows sometimes "Unable to connect to SAMBA client" and some other times the
> printing seems to go through, but the printer queue in the Win2000 PC shows
> "Remote low level document" for a while before deleting it.  Any clues on how
> to fix this? Thanks!

Assuming you are printing from the Windows machine to the Samba machine,
this could be a problem with the Samba setup. Do you have any Samba
shares that you access from this windows 2000 machine? Do they work
properly?

-Andy