Re: CUPS configuration

    "christophe" == christophe barb <christophe> writes:

    christophe> On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 05:28:58PM -0500, Shyamal
    christophe> Prasad wrote:
    >> "christophe" == christophe barb <christophe> writes:

    christophe> Hi, Is there a tool to configure printers in cups.
    >>  Is there something you don't like about http://localhost:631/
    >> as a means of configuring cups on the cups server?

    christophe> Yes. Guessing the uri.  As far as I know it's possible
    christophe> to detect available network printers and I am looking
    christophe> for a tool that find them and propose me to add them
    christophe> in my cups settings without asking me obscure
    christophe> questions.  Today I was able to guess the correct
    christophe> syntax for one printer but it's more luck than
    christophe> anything.

Ah! Thanks. I switched to cups about a month ago, but I only have one
printer so I never got to the browse features. At the risk of
repeating what you already know: Debian turns browsing off by
default. See /usr/doc/cupsys/README.Debian.gz. You will need to modify
the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to enable browsing. I believe cups will only
discover other cups printers and servers. I was under the impression
that with browsing you never had to do anything to detect printers,
cups auto discovered them.

Cheers!
Shyamal