Re: eth0 problem after kernal package upgrade

    "Neal" == Neal Pollock <npollock@rogers.com> writes:

    Neal> Thanks Shayamal.  I have the following lines from 'dmesg' on
    Neal> 2.2.20 kernel:
    Neal> "eth0: Macronix 98715 PMAC rev 37 at 0xd400,00:80:C6:EA:C0:69, IRQ 4
    Neal> eth0: EEPROM default media type 10baseT.
    Neal> via-rhine.c:v1.08b-LK1.0.1 12/14/2000"

    Neal> How can I discern the name of the driver module for 2.4.18
    Neal> from this?

Never seen that one before I'd guess, first, that it is the via-rhine
driver since the driver printed a line. Try 'modprobe via-rhine' with
your 2.4.x kernel running and see if 'ifconfig -a' lists eth0 as being
available.

However a quick search of Google seems to indicate to me that that the
Macroniz 98715 is (was?) supported by the tulip driver. So give
'modprobe tulip' a shot too. In fact I looked in my kernel source and
the Macronix 98715 does seem to be supported by the tulip driver. Give
it a shot.

Hopefully this will bring a response from some one more knowledgeable
than me.

Good luck!
Shyamal