how does post-install ocnfig work with apt-get?

hi everyone,

so I just installed the TrueTypoe core fonts using msttcorefonts.
now openoffice works!
The post-install configuration was a little buggy (the configuration
tool couldn't find the necessary downloaded files), and I wanteed to
figure out what was goiing wrong -- and  realized I have no idea how
the post-install ocnfiguration works.  Is there a shell script or
something that manages it?  One reason I asking is that I understand
installing additional tt fonts is kind of a hassle to do by hand, and
I thought maybe if I had access to the config file I could figure out
a way to have msttcorefonts do the extra work for me with non-core
fonts, too.

any cloes?  thanks,
matt