Re: Ide-scsi when booting from floppy

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:07:16 -0700
Cam Ellison <cam@ellisonet.ca> wrote:

> I have two systems, both with BIOSes that cannot read the large hard
> drives that are on them (the smaller ones that can be read have died
> or are dying, or are too small to get a system onto).  One of the
> BIOSes may be flashable, but the other is unsupported.
>
> I also have a cdburner, but when I boot from a floppy, there seems no
> way to define the appropriate drive as ide-scsi.   Booting from a
> bzdisk flopy is mandatory, since the BIOSes hang unless they are told
> there are no hard drives.  Thus a grub floppy won't work -- it needs
> an identified hard drive to work with.

But have your tried copying your kernel into the floppy? What would
happen is that grub will boot into that kernel (a clone of the kernel
that's supposed to be in the hard disk), and then it's the kernel's
job to find your hard disk.

(I got the impression that this *might* be possible from my older box's
setup. I disabled the second hard drive from the bios, so that grub
doesn't see it. But by copying/cloning the corresponding kernel onto the
recognized first hard drive and pointing grub at it, I'm able to boot
into the Mandrake installation on the second hard drive.)

Some folks I suspect might suggest some initrd magic.