help with fonts / openoffice

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good how-to on fonts under Debian?  I'm having
some trouble understanding how fonts work...

Here's my basic problem:  for the most part, I'm not really that
concerned about fonts -- I'm not a graphic designer and I often don't
even really notice what fonts I'm looking at.  As far as I can tell
(and I haven't looked into it closely) both Opera and Mozilla, as well
as most other X applications, display most fonts I come into contact
with.  But I've recently made the switch over to OpenOffice, and in OO
I have real problems.  I have a pretty large body of work whch I wrote
in M$ word before I saw the light and switched.  A lot of it I have to
access pretty regularly (my lecture notes, which I revise every year,
and a bunch of articles and a book manuscript which are in
preparation.  When I open them in OpenOffice, almost all  of the
non-standard characters are prepresented as ?'s -- that goes for
"smart" quotes, m- and n-dashes, etc.  Now, I understand I shouldn't
have used those characters in the first place, but I did, and so now
I'm stuck.

So, I guess I have to install some new fonts, most probably a bunch of
true type fonts, and modify the fontpath somehow.  Now I tried using
the msttcorefonts package, but it gives an error:

  msttcorefonts
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 46  not
upgraded.
Need to get 13.0kB of archives. After unpacking 176kB will be used.
Get:1 http://mirror.direct.ca woody/contrib msttcorefonts 1.0.0
[13.0kB]
Fetched 13.0kB in 3s (3668B/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package msttcorefonts.
(Reading database ... 85664 files and directories currently
installed.)
Unpacking msttcorefonts (from .../msttcorefonts_1.0.0_all.deb) ...
Setting up msttcorefonts (1.0.0) ...

These fonts are provided by Microsoft "in the interest of cross-
platform compatibility".  You are free to download these fonts and
use them for your own use, but you may not redistribute these fonts
without first registering with Microsoft and following their
restrictions.

--12:29:13--
  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/downloads/andale32.exe
           => `www.microsoft.com/typography/downloads/andale32.exe'
Resolving www.microsoft.com... done.
Connecting to www.microsoft.com[207.46.230.220]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404
12:29:16 ERROR 404: (no description).

dpkg: error processing msttcorefonts (--configure):
 msttcorefonts

So what should I do?  I realize now that I'm entirely ignorant about
how fonts work in linux.  Is there a good resource on this?

Thanks for your help,,

matt