gnustep config problem

Can anyone provide some advice on getting gnustep
working properly? When I try to run an app that uses
the gnustep libraries, like gnumail or gworkspace, I
get lots of errors related to not finding
configuration files at
~/GNUstep/Defaults/.GnustepDefaults. This is fair,
since there is no configuration info there. What's the
best way to fix this? I'm running Sarge, but I took
the gnustep packages, and the packages like gnumail
and gworkspace, from unstable. Thanks.

Richard