Re: workstations syslogging to server (almost there)

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, nate wrote:

> > Do you mean you are running BOTH syslog-ng and syslogd ?

> on my syslog server yes, you don't have to, but I think you may have
> to reconfigure syslog-ng so it listens on /dev/log to recieve local
> events(maybe thats what internal() does ..)

According to the info, internal() should log all messages syslog-ng
generates, but it doesn't on my system... And it's not possible to
install both syslog-ng and syslogd, Debian replaces the packages.

> > anything anymore, although my syslog-conf looks fine I think.
> > (http://bolderman.xs4all.nl/~dick/syslog-ng.conf)

> looking at your syslog-ng your telling it to use TCP, which is fine
> but the syslog client must support tcp, by default syslog uses UDP. I
> have never tried to do syslog over TCP thats probably part of the
> problem.

You were right, i'm using UDP now, and messages from my client are
placed in /var/log-ng :) However, it doesn't create log-files with the
hostname in it, it just puts them in the existing logs of the server...

--

D.J. Bolderman
list@bolderman.xs4all.nl