Re: workstations syslogging to server

D. J. Bolderman said:

> Do you mean you are running BOTH syslog-ng and syslogd ?

on my syslog server yes, you don't have to, but I think you
may have to reconfigure syslog-ng so it listens on /dev/log
to recieve local events(maybe thats what internal() does ..)

> anything anymore, although my syslog-conf looks fine I think.
> (http://bolderman.xs4all.nl/~dick/syslog-conf)

looking at your syslog-ng your telling it to use TCP, which is
fine but the syslog client must support tcp, by default syslog
uses UDP. I have never tried to do syslog over TCP thats probably
part of the problem.

another thing you can do is sniff the packets going to
the service, on the syslog server something like:

tcpdump -i (your interface) dst port 514

(i think thats the right syntax..)

nate