Re: Logical Volume Manager

On Thursday 26 September 2002 6:09 pm, Q. Gong wrote:
> I converted my root file system to LVM. A Linux partition (e.g. using ext2
> file system) is needed for /boot, containing the kernel files
> which support LVM. I previously posted a message including all detailed
> steps.

I went back and read that post = but you didn't seem to have the problem I
have.

I "think" because I have ext3 as a root partition and am using the debian
kernel which has that as a module, debian's installation of the kernel has
created an initrd image which it loads on boot and uses to load the ext3
module.

What concerns me is that the lvm process for root partitions also creates an
initrd image.  However, there is no explanation I could find of how it
creates it, or what is put in it.  (I assume lvm is a module that needs to be
loaded at boot time before root can be mounted).  I think, from your post,
that your root partition is reiserfs.  I think that is compiled in to
2.4.18-bf2.4 and therefore you have neatly sidestepped the problem.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk