Re: postgers: how to use both md5 and passwordless access

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 08:59, Erik Steffl wrote:
>    I would like to use both passwordless access to user's own db as
> debian default config allows:
>
> local        all                                           ident sameuse
> host         all         127.0.0.1     255.0.0.0           ident sameuse
>
>    as well as being able to connect to other DBs using md5:
>
> local        all                                           md5
> host         all         127.0.0.1     255.0.0.0           md5
>
>    is it possible to combine both approaches? I tried to add sameuse
> after md5 but it didn't help (in fact I wasn't able to login at all)

It is the first matching line that controls access.  So only the first
"local all" or "host all" line will be used; the second one will not
even be read.  You might do better by specifying your own map (which you
would need to put in /etc/postgresql/pg_ident.conf) instead of sameuser.

>    subquestion: when using the first option (ident) I cannot login using
> username/password, I can only autologin to user's own db - any ideas on
> how to fix that?

That's what ident authorisation means.  Password authorisation is an
alternative to ident.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor
      angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor
      things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor
      any other created thing, shall be able to separate us
      from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our
      Lord."          Romans 8:38,39