Re: Remote package management?

"Sean 'Shaleh' Perry" <shalehperry@attbi.com> writes:

> On Wednesday 25 September 2002 11:11, Carl Johnson wrote:
> > I want to set up a rescue/administration filesystem on an extra
> > partition, but I would like to be able to install packages without
> > rebooting into that filesystem.  I already found that dpkg will handle
> > that with the --root option, but I would like to work at a little
> > higher level.  I haven't found anything similar in apt-get, aptitude,
> > or dselect.  Does anybody have any suggestions on other ways to
> > accomplish this, or are there other tools that I haven't discovered
> > yet?
>
> man chroot and look into using it.  Should do all of what you need.  After
> that to get really neat and spiffy you could try using user-mode linux which
> actually runs another copy of linux like an emulator.

Thanks for the suggestions.  It doesn't look like either will work
directly without an existing system on the partition, but it looks
like debootstrap can build that.  After that, it looks like chroot
will actually work better than the user-mode linux, since user-mode
linux is really designed for running root image files rather than
actual file systems.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org