Re: OT: Alternatives to ls for sorting files by modification time

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 19:47, Jeff Cours wrote:

> > If somebody wants to do some clever scripting: I have a similar need,
> > but not yet found a simple solution: I want to purge some cache
> > directory and just leave the most recently accessed k megabytes. File
> > sizes vary greatly, so file count won't help much.
>
> There's probably a nice, elegant way to do this one in shell script,
> but I'd be tempted to just throw it over to Perl. Warning: this script
> will break if the list of file names gets too big to hold in memory:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
[...]

Thanks a lot. Will try. I don't speak perl fluently, that's why I looked
for a shell script - but it gets the job done, and perl is installed by
default, so it doesn't matter.

cheers
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                           http://fortytwo.ch/gpg

NOTICE: subkey signature! request key 92082481 from keyserver.kjsl.com