Re: OT: Alternatives to ls for sorting files by modification time

Hi Vineet!

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Vineet Kumar wrote:

> [...]
> processing the list, i.e. with xargs?  It's hard to make suggestions
> without seeing what you're trying to do...

You're right ;-) What I'm doing is

FILES=`$LS -lt1 $BACKUP_DIR/arc/*.arc | $TAIL -$NUM_OF_FILES`
for i in $FILES; do
  $RM -f $i
done

($LS contains the path to "ls" and $TAIL the path to "tail")

I want to remove the oldest $NUM_OF_FILES files and it seems to me that
piping into tail fails when ls returns too many files.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info!

Greetings,

	Holger