X question, startup

I have tried two variants, both do not work out:

a) doing xinit it will all start, then I say log out and it
will not terminate, the panels are still there

b) with gdm it will start, but with no borders around the
windows, it just won't work out.

What is the right thing to do with gdm, do I need .xinitrc
or .xsession or both?

I would like to have ssh-agent running for real, wmaker and
gnome-session. What do I have to put there and in what
order? wmaker's README.Debian says I should only exec
/usr/bin/X11/wmaker, the gnome-session README.Debian says I
should only amp out wmaker and then exec gnome-session.

Argh? It has been tough enough to even start using X at
all, the console just worked...

Any hints most welcome.

Thanks,
Alexander

--
"Get on your knees and fight like a man!"
 --Petra - from the album "This means war!"