Newbie question

Hi all,

How do I get to the screen where I can login as root? Now I get the graphical
login screen and I can't login as root. When I try to setup my ADSL connection
to the internet the pppoeconf program tells me I have to become root first.
When I open a window and type the command su root then I'm root, but still this
pppoeconf tells me I have to become root. I want to login as root so I can
setup my ADSL connection. Or is there an other way to do this?

Thank you very much

Koen Niehof