Re: Newbie question

If you are loging in through gnome desktop manager (gdm), it will not let you in as root. If this is the case (wanting to use graphical interface and being root), I would suggest using kdm (same as gde, but from kde). To do so,
"dpkg-reconfigure kde"
will give you the chance of selecting your destop manager.

Koen Niehof wrote:

Hi all,

How do I get to the screen where I can login as root? Now I get the graphical login screen and I can't login as root. When I try to setup my ADSL connection to the internet the pppoeconf program tells me I have to become root first. When I open a window and type the command su root then I'm root, but still this pppoeconf tells me I have to become root. I want to login as root so I can setup my ADSL connection. Or is there an other way to do this?

Thank you very much

Koen Niehof