Re: SuSE vs. Debian ???

Michael D. Schleif said:

> I must accept a project to build and manage systems to run oracle db 9i
> and tools 11i.
>
> The customer is insisting that they must run SuSE, since they are
> convinced that that is the only platform on which their oracle stuff is
> certified, e.g., SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 7.
>
> I have not experienced SuSE for several years; rather, I've spent most of
> my time with debian.
>
> Therefore, I am looking for recommendations, suggestions and good
> natured criticism regarding my current situation ;>
>
> Pointers?  Points of reference?  Comments?

depends on the project. I may go with SuSE just to learn how it works
and learn how oracle works on it(just one more thing to put on the resume).

Having installed Oracle on debian(about a year ago), it wasn't easy, but
it did run. Others have had success with it too.  It wasn't 9i, I think
it was 8i(or maybe an earlier version even). If your experienced with
oracle then running on debian may be fine, but If you've never used oracle
before I would for sure use a supported platform for the sole purpose
of support, you can call oracle or SuSE if you have trouble. If the
project isn't so mission critical and it's OK for it to be down for
a few hours(while you troubleshoot), if theres a problem then maybe
debian is ok. If it were me I would cheat and use the educational/development
license for oracle on debian and run the "real" stuff on SuSE, try it
out for a few months, do some testing with debian, if it works then
flip the switch and switchover.

I installed my first redhat server at home a few days ago specifically
so I could just play with it and learn it better. I put it on the
best hardware I have so I could try out some commercial apps on it
as well(IBM stuff, iPlanet stuff, maybe oracle ..)

I have 1 SuSE 8 system too ..its ok, it has it's uses. My first
experience with SuSE was on an IBM S/390, I was impressed!!

nate