[Re: Configuring Kernel Options (/usr/src/linux/.config)]

Just thought I'd make this part of the mailing list.

-Andy
--- Begin Message ---
Andy Saxena wrote:

Hi,

I want to know if there are any side-effects of copying the .config file
from one kernel source tree to another.

Specifically, there are two cases that I am interested in:

1.) Copying config file from the 2.2 series to the 2.4 series.
2.) Copying the config file from one minor version to another within the
same series.

I have seen plenty of questions asked about compiling a custom kernel,
but I don't remember this issue being tackled in any of them.

Thanks,
Andy

i did this with the 2.4.18-686 config file from debian to a clean source.
It did not build and i had a lot of hassle to find options to make it build.
But try by all means, but if you run in to ' unresolved headers' or something like that it probably is uncorrect options. The worst thing that can happen is that you spend time on it, if it builds you are ok.
Kenneth

--- End Message ---