Ethernet card problem

Hi,

My debian pc with on-board 82559 intel ethernet board stopped
talking. I can ping localhost, but the windows pc sees the cable
from it as 'dead'. I checked all relevant files and ifconfig and
netstat, and it was all normal, except for a few packet over-runs.

Any way, i put in another pci card which was detected as realtek
8139B, and i changed all the relevant files from eth0 to eth1,
and checked with ifconfig and netstat and ping localhost.
(Hint: i think /etc/network/interfaces is translated to
/etc/init.d/network)

Anyway the other windows pc sees the link as 'alive', but
i can't get any packets. Pinging from the debian pc doesn't
work either (ping stalls). What else can i check? (i've checked
the cable). Is there a way to disable the mainboard ethernet hardware?