print problem on sarge

hi

a few weeks ago, my previously perfect print set-up went south:

bilbo:/home/dmallery>> lpc status
lp:
	queuing is enabled
	printing is enabled
	no entries
	no daemon present
bilbo:/home/dmallery>> lpc start lp
lp:
	printing enabled
lpc: connect: No such file or directory
	couldn't start daemon

could someone point me at what is going on with lpc:
lpc: connect: No such file or directory
the diagnostic message is a bit terse for me...

from /etc/printcap:
# remote xerox np17
#  using appsocket 9100 for bi-directional status
#	rdm 3/17/2
#
lp|lp0:\
	:lp=9100@10.42.42.200:\
	:rp=raw:\
	:ml=0:\
	:mx=0:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
	:sh:

i have several other printers and get the same message from all.

thanks in advance for any help.

dave

--
Dave Mallery, K5EN          (debian testing & woody)
PO Box 520         .~.    _      Ramah,  NM  87321