Re: Question about dpkg architecture

Hi,

If you want to compile your packages specifically for your architecture,
you need to use apt-build.  This utility runs like apt-get but instead of
just installing the debian package is first downloads the source, compiles
the program specific to your architecture and then installs the newly
created debian package.  Hope you have lots of time on your hands, some of
the compilations can take hours, even on newer machines (P4 2.5, 1 GB
memory).

Ramon Kagan
York University, Computing and Network Services
Unix Team -  Intermediate System Administrator
(416)736-2100 #20263
rkagan@yorku.ca

I have not failed.  I have just
found 10,000 ways that don't work.