created problems uninstalling xdm

I uninstalled xdm (apt-get remove xdm) and which in turn removed the meta package x-window-system.  Then I removed all instances of the xdm directories (the uninstall said the directories weren’t empty):

/var/lib/xdm

/etc/X11/xdm

The problem is, I can reinstall xdm fine, and it works (I think it looks different), but those files do not come back.  How do I know? If I uninstall the package again, it does not tell me that the directory is empty.  What package filled those directories?  I used tasksel to install X Windows.

Hope that’s descriptive enough,

Jim