Re: I don't understand USB Mouses in Debian

Richard Spillane was roused into action on 09/23/02 17:26 and wrote:
I tried using the dpkg-reconfigure xserver xfree86 command, and I thought it
would work, but even though I set my device to /dev/input/mouse it didn't
take.  I also installed hotplug, and that didn't seem to work.  I am really
lost, I would figure that if you had your mouse plugged in during
installation Debian would automatically take care of it.  I just installed a
stock Debian installation, and I never told it NOT to install USB drivers
for my mouse.  I don't know what to do.  Can anybody help me?

Here's an irony for you - I've got my Logitech USB mouse running under Debian, but *NOT* under Windows 98, even though I installed Win98 with it plugged in! So I have an older serial mouse for use in Windows :)

Anyway, getting back to the problem:

You'll need some modules loaded I think to get this to work:

usbcore
usb-uhci
hid
mousedev
usbmouse

In XF86Config-4, the device ought to be set to something like /dev/input/mice, but I think this can vary and I recall having to create it. See

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html

Good luck
--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV