Re: I don't understand USB Mouses in Debian

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 05:26:20PM -0400, Richard Spillane wrote:
> I tried using the dpkg-reconfigure xserver xfree86 command, and I thought it
> would work, but even though I set my device to /dev/input/mouse it didn't
> take.  I also installed hotplug, and that didn't seem to work.  I am really
> lost, I would figure that if you had your mouse plugged in during
> installation Debian would automatically take care of it.  I just installed a
> stock Debian installation, and I never told it NOT to install USB drivers
> for my mouse.  I don't know what to do.  Can anybody help me?
>
> Rick

I just posted this in another thread, so I appologize in advance for the
double posting.

Setting up my Optical Intellimouse Explorer USB took a lot of trial and
error, but this should put you onto the right track:

I assume you are using the latest kernels 2.4.18/19.

Step 1: Make sure you have your kernel compiled so that all of your
input device drivers are compiled as modules and then list them
similarly to what is here (the ordering is important)

(root@hour)~$ cat /etc/modules
eepro100
ide-scsi
emu10k1
mousedev
keybdev
hid
input
usb-uhci
usbcore

Step 2: If you haven't yet, you will need to go into /dev and issue the
command:

(root@hour)/dev$ ./MAKEDEV input

...which will create

(root@hour)/dev/input$ ls -a
.  ..  event0  event1  event2  event3  js0  js1  js2  js3  mice  mouse0
mouse1  mouse2  mouse3

Step 3: Setup your XF86Config-4 and your gpm.conf

(root@hour)/etc$ cat gpm.conf
device=/dev/input/mice
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=autops2
append=""
sample_rate=

(root@hour)/etc/X11$ cat XF86Config-4
Section "Files"
        FontPath        "unix/:7110"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "v41"
        Load    "record"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"              "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"              "pc101"
        Option          "XkbLayout"             "us"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:nocaps"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "nvidia"
#       Option          "BackingStore"  "On"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync       30-107
        VertRefresh     48-120
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           1
                Modes           "1600x1200"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           4
                Modes           "1600x1200"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           8
                Modes           "1600x1200"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           15
                Modes           "1600x1200"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1600x1200"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1600x1200"
        EndSubSection

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "BlankTime"             "0"
        Option          "StandbyTime"   "0"
        Option          "SuspendTime"   "0"
        Option          "OffTime"               "0"
        Option          "NoPM"                  "true"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

Step 4: run depmod -a and reboot to load the new modules at boot-time

HTH.

--
Regards,

Time