Re: 2.4.19 + aic7xxx won't boot. No problem with 2.4.18.

This one time, at band camp, shaulka@bezeqint.net said:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 04:11:33PM -0500, John Manko wrote:
> > shaulka@bezeqint.net wrote:
> >
> > >I can't boot with a self made kernel image compiled from
> > >kernel-source-2.4.19:
> > > 1. when the probe option is turned on in the kernel configuration
> > >    I am getting a kernel debugging information.
> > > 2. without the probe option it halts after announcing it can not
> > >    device 8 or something that looks to me similar.
> > >In any case the boot process is halted in the SCSI recognition phase.
> > >I had no problems with 2.4.18.
> > >
> > >Any comments?

If you're not changing the kernel config vastly, only upgrading, make
oldconfig is your friend.  Copy the .config from /usr/src/linux-2.4.18
(or /boot/config-2.4.18 if kpackage) into your new kernel directory and
'make oldconfig' - it'll only ask about changes between the two versions.
Of course, you'll have to recompile )^8.  Not sure otherwise - what type
of SCSI disk (cdrom|hard disk), is it /, do you have support in kernel
or as module (mkinitrd needed?) . . .

If this helps, cool, otherwise write back with as much information as
you can supply.

Steve

--
Join the army, see the world, meet interesting, exciting people, and kill them.