Re: DPKG: status file broken

on Mon, Sep 23, 2002, BeerBong (alexei@samara.net) wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I use Debian Woody.
> I updated packages list today via 'Upade' dselect and select to
> install 'perlmagick'.
> When I tried to Install selected packages I got
>
> Reading Package Lists... Error!
> E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>

> How to solve the problem ?

Archive the broken file elsewhere.

First try copying over /var/lib/dpkg/status-old in its place.

You should have up to six backup copies in /var/backups as
'dpkg.status.[0-6]', higher numbers gzipped.

Peace.

   How to unwedge / disable your X display manager login:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/xdm-disable.html