awk segfault on make menuconfig to build kernel

The first time that I tried the kernel build from source, I unpacked the
kernel source and did all steps as root. That shouldn't cause any
permissions problems as far as I can tell. Since getting the suggestion to
do the process as a non-root user, I have done all steps including unpacking
the kernel source as a non-root user.

The owner of /usr/src is set to user, as is the file
kernel-source-2.4.19.tar.bz2. That file is unpacked by the same non root
user, and the config file is copied by that user. I run make menuconfig by
the same user, and get the same error as I got when the entire process was
run as root.

I've tested the process with kernel-source-2.4.18, and make menuconfig runs
fine with that package. So it looks like there's something different with
2.4.19 that's causing a problem.

Thanks,

Dave De Graff

The error for make menuconfig with kernel-source-2.4.19 is:

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.19/scripts/lxdialog'
/bin/sh scripts/Menuconfig arch/i386/config.in Using defaults found in
.config Preparing scripts: functions, parsingscripts/Menuconfig: line 1:
1250 Segmentation fault      awk "$1" Awk died with error code 139. Giving
up. make: *** [menuconfig] Error 1