aliases or functions--which to use?

I've been using aliases to access other partitions on my two hard drives, ranging from hda1 to hdb9 and don't have any problem that I can detect. I have other Linux's scattered throughout the two hard drives. Windows 98 is on hda1, as usual. Debian's / is on hdb5

For example, In Debian, I can type the command ' win+ ' and see all the contents of Windows 98 which is on hda1. I can then manipulate files in Windows , such as copy or
move or even edit a Windows file from Debian.

I sometimes download a linux package while operating Windows and then, later while operating Debian, move that package to Debian or any other Linux system Or, conversely, I can download a Windows file while operating Debian and then move it to the Windows
partition.  I can also move or copy or edit between two Linux's.

All this can be done with simple aliases.

Example:
you should first make a directory   da1   in  /mnt:
# cd /mnt # mkdir da1
------then------------
# alias win+='mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/da1; cd /mnt/da1; ls -aF --color'
# alias win-='cd; umount /mnt/da1'

Now,  by typing  win+,  you have access to all the files in  Windows and you
can edit them from Debian.  (No, you can't execute them)

After you've finished, type  win-   to unmount and restore to Debian.

You can use variations of these commands to work between two different Linux's. Notice the example alias is just ordinary commands joined by ; to make a single command. I have many such aliases stored in /root/.bashrc so I can call up any operating system.

In spite of the fact that these aliases work, I'm told by experts that I shouldn't use aliases but do the same job by using ' functions '. I've tried this and it does work but I can't see any difference . I'm still a novice when it comes to Linux so perhaps I just don't know
any better.

But, can someone explain why 'functions' should be used instead of 'aliases' ?