Re: CUPS - unable to print postscript file

Andy Saxena wrote:
On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 06:24:28PM -0400, Edward Guldemond wrote:

By chance, are these Postscript files from xpdf?  I have the problem
when printing Postscript files generated from pdf files using xpdf,
otherwise, all other Postscript files print perfectly.  (The solution is
to let CUPS convert the pdf file.)

Nope, these Postscript files are not generated by xpdf. One was
generated by muttprint, the other was generated by enscript. Like I
stated, if I pipe a text file through enscript directly to lp, it prints
fine. However, I am unable to print the Postscript file generated by
enscript from the same text file.

Happy to help,

Thanks. I heard a lot of praise about CUPS, and it would still be an
amazing piece of software if it just did what it says it does :-}.

-Andy

Dunno if this will help or not, but I initially had the same problem & stumbled upon an answer for me.

First, I use the "Printing Manager" in KDE to set up CUPS. All of the rest is in reference to this utility.

If you select your printer from the "Printing Manager" initial screen you will get a window with 4 Tabs. The last Tab is called "Instances". If you select the "Instances" tab on the right side will be a listing of possible additional selections. Select "Settings". This will bring up a new window,with again a series of 3 Tabs, the last of which will be called "Filters". When you select this, you will get yet another screen where you can add or remove various filters. I had to add the "PDF Writer" filter in order to get xpdf & acroread to print out. As I recall there was one for enscript plus a couple of more.

I suggest you play around with these filters and see what happens

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-