Re: Preventing apt-get from removing pkgs while installing others

David De Graff wrote:

What does "apt-get install -t unstable initrd-tools gcc-3.2" give you?

Thanks for the reply.

It then says that initrd-tools is the newest version (but does not try to
remove it), and then tries to remove the kernel image while installing the
gcc-3.2 and related packages:

Well, then "apt-get install -t unstable initrd-tools gcc-3.2 kernel-image-2.4.19-686" should fix your problem. I think that the fact that you are installing gcc-3.2 is a red herring. Have you tried installing anything else recently without having this problem? Check to see what dpkg thinks the states of initrd-tools and kernel-image-2.4.19-686 should be with "dpkg --get-selections | sed --silent -e '/kernel-image/p' -e '/initrd-tool/p'". I have a feeling they are set to something other than 'install'...