Preventing apt-get from removing pkgs while installing others

I'm trying to install gcc-3.2 from unstable on a box that's running woody,
and am running into trouble with apt-get trying to remove packages that need
to remain in place.

See the session text below:

root:/usr/bin# apt-get -t unstable install gcc-3.2
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  binutils cpp-3.2 gcc-3.2-base libc6 libc6-dev libdb1-compat libgcc1
modconf modutils
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  initrd-tools kernel-image-2.4.19-686
  cpp-3.2 gcc-3.2 gcc-3.2-base libdb1-compat
6 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 2 to remove and 88  not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/11.2MB of archives. After unpacking 18.4MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

When I first ran the above command and chose to proceed, I got a warning
about removing the kernel image, and I also had to reinstall initrd-tools.
After looking through a lot of apt-get docs, I haven't found a command or
option to force an installation to proceed without removing packages that
are listed for removal. And I don't see how the two listed for removal above
would conflict with gcc-3.2 in any case.

Thanks for any help,

Dave De Graff