Re: nfs-root booting works for 2.2.* client, but not 2.4.19

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 02:02:46PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:

> To point out the obvious...
>
> are you sure you flipped the kernel-autoconfig bit in networking and
>
> the allow nfsroot  bit (somewhere else I forget, probably network
> file systems)

Yes, I checked that:

CONFIG_IP_PNP=y	    		this should be the kernel-autoconfig
CONFIG_IP_PNP_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP=y
CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP=y
[...]
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
CONFIG_ROOT_NFS=y		this is the root-NFS part
CONFIG_NFSD=y
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y

> have the right NIC driver builtin to the boot kernel

Yep. It is, IIRC, an old ISA card. I musr assume that 2.4.* does support
them as the options are still there.

CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_RTL8139TOO=y  		this is I still need to install (100mbps)
CONFIG_8139TOO_8129=y
CONFIG_NET_ISA=y
CONFIG_NE2000=y			this one is installed, and works for 2.2.*
CONFIG_NET_EISA=y
CONFIG_EEXPRESS_PRO100=y	these two are used in other boxen here
CONFIG_NE2K_PCI=y

Those 8129/8139 variants shouldn't trample on each other, should they?

> I presume you're getting a can't find init message or a panic about
> the root device.

Something like that. Retyping from the screen next to me:

All well until including to

hda: ...
hdb: ...
Uniform CD-ROM driver Rev....
Partition check:
 hda:

and the trouble starts on that last line with
  <1>Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 22c476e8
  printing eip
  [ screenful of gooblygoo relating to the registers, stack and trace ]
  <0>Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

> One issue I had with 2.4 kernels is that I sometimes made them too
> big.  I'm not sure too big for what as the one that works is bigger
> than 640k and the ones that failed fit on the floppy with syslinux and
> config stuff...

Yes. The 2.4.* ones that fail are around 820 to 840kb, the 2.2.* ones that
work are around 620 to 695kb, depending on what other (unused) stuff I left
enabled.

Dirk

--
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
							    -- Fred Brooks