OT: Re: thin client

Ron Johnson said:

> Note, though, that whether it's vnc or an x-server running on
> win32, it's still won't be a thin client.

I guess it really depends on what your perception of thin client is,
the company i work for competes with VNC, Exceed, Metaframe, Citrix
etc..and these software packages are considered "thin clients" by our
particular segment of the software industry.

my personal view of a thin client is a very small piece of code that
is used to connect to a server to display an app(VNC is a great example
since the client is 500k or less?). Others judge thin client by the
bandwidth the client uses even if the client software uses 20MB disk
space. still others judge thin client based on the total software installed
on the system. then there is the perception of client, is the client
the OS+specialized client software? is it the entire system(that is, is
it a PDA, or is it a full blown 1ghz PC, or a network appliance..), or is
it just the client software itself?

nate