How can I get graphing in Gnumeric?

I'm stumped.

I know that Gnumeric supposedly has graphing capability. I know that
this capability is dependent on guppi-gnumeric, a virtual package that
on my box (running Sid) points to libguppi16. I have version 1.1.7-1
of Gnumeric installed, and version 0.40.3-1.1 of libguppi16
installed. Indeed, it _seems_ that I have all the required and
suggested pacakges for gnumeric installed.

And yet: no graphing icon on the toolbar, no graphing command on any
of the menus.

What have I missed?

Some other (probably unrelated) strange things:

* Help doesn't work. Yields the error: "Bonobo-WARNING **: Error:
  'Unable to find the help files in either
  /usr/share/gnumeric/1.1.7-bonobo//share/gnome/help/gnumeric/ or
  /usr/share/gnome/help/.  Please check your installation'"

* The program starts with a custom zoom magnification of 10%. Ouch.

* Gnumeric spits out many warnings to stderr about "Cannot load font
  for XLFD yada-yada-yada-*-* ...

TIA,

Dan

--