Re: Building a full audio/video system based on debian

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:07:46 -0700
Tim Moss <debian@to11.net> wrote:

> Apparently, on Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 09:34:00PM -0700, nate wrote:
> > Hanasaki JiJi said:
> > > Any input on what to use for hardware and capture / playback
> > > software?
> > >
> > > I am hoping for only open source.  I know that leaves NVidia out
> > > due to the closed drivers.  How about ATI?
> >
> > just because it's closed doesn't mean it's unsuitable. for example,
> > I would like high performance 3D on debian 3.0 on kernel 2.2.19.
> > From what I can tell my only option is nvidia. Matrox requires
> > 2.4.x,
>
> I'm not sure if there's any issues with using a 2.2.x kernel but I
> have a Radeon 7500 with XFree 4.2 (on kernel 2.4) and it works great.
> It's extremely fast and stable and completely open source.

What driver do you use for it? Does it have any problems when playing
video using the XVideo (xv) extensions? When I attempt to minimize the
video ouput window, my Radeon (VE) has the irritating tendency of
obstructing the screen with a freeze frame of the movie I'm playing.
This only goes away if I exit the movie player software.