How to get $DISPLAY

I'm new to Debian but have found I like it enough so far to replace four
of my existing Mandrake machines with it.

One of the machines is a test box that's headless into which I ssh.  I'd
like to export my display onto my desktop, but for the life of me, I
can't figure out what packages I need to install to be able to do so.

Even on my desktop that has X on it, when I echo $DISPLAY, it's not
set.  In Mandrake, it was the XFree86 package that owned xauth that
created the .Xauthority file and did the trick, but for the life of me,
I can't figure this one out.  Can anyone help a brother out?

Thanks,

Bill